The SAM Student Forum
What is the SAM Student Forum?
The SAM Student Forum is comprised of the student members of SAM. Participating in Student Forum activities is simply one more way for students to become involved in the Society.
How does the Student Forum work for you?
- Connectivity: Using the SAM newsletter, the SAM listserv, the SAM Student
Forum email list, the SAM
Student Forum Facebook group, and this webpage, we keep
you up-to-date on the latest student-related announcements and deadlines.
To sign up for the SAM Student Forum email list please visit the sam_students
- Conference Activities: We organize a student-only dinner and reception,
and we organize session panels devoted to student concerns. (Recent sessions
have included imagining an ideal graduate program in American music and alternative
career paths for musicologists.) We also manage the Silent Auction, the proceeds
of which help fund student conference travel. We also help students find
roommates for the conference.
- Silent Auction: The society holds a Silent Auction at the annual SAM conference to benefit the Student Travel Endowmment. The auction is coordinated entirely by the Student Forum. More than ever, we need your help with planning and running the auction. This is a great way to get more involved and to get to know other students in SAM. If you would like more information or would like to volunteer, please contact the Student Forum co-chairs. Student travel fund recipients are required to help at the close of the auction on Saturday evening.
- Student Forum Meeting and Dinner - Friday Evening: Check
the program for the location of the business meeting and keep an eye out
for signs indicating where we'll have our annual student-only dinner following
- Co-Chair Elections: Students present at the Friday evening meeting
will elect a new Student Forum Co-Chair. Being a Co-Chair is an excellent
way to become more involved in the Society for American Music and get to
know some of your colleagues! If you are interested in the position, please
contact the Student Forum co-chairs for more information.
- Mark Tucker Award: The Tucker Award is given yearly for an outstanding student paper read at our national meeting. The award honors the life and work of Mark Tucker, a much beloved late member of SAM. Any student planning to read a paper at the next national conference is eligible to apply. If you would like to apply, a complete version of the paper is due by the deadline given on the Tucker Award information page. You will not receive your check if you are not present.
We are always looking for ways to encourage student participation in conference activities, foster contacts with each other throughout the year, and encourage student members to become active, life-long SAM members. If you have any ideas or comments, please contact the Student Forum co-chairs.
Want to know more about joining SAM? Click here!